The Journey Continues: The Cup


"And he said, 'Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.'" - Mark 14:36, ESV

When I was young, and even as an adult, I thought that this verse was Christ pleading that God would release Him from the pain, suffering and humiliation that was coming soon in His torture and death on the cross. Even the commentary on this verse on bibleref.com states that Jesus' prayer was to be released from the agonizing death that came with the cross.

I see it differently. For when I look at Mark 15:34, and Jesus' lamentation "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?", the prayer in the garden takes on a different meaning, and I was reminded of that as I did my study this morning in Mark's Gospel.

It's a good bet that many of us started 2023 by promising ourselves that we'd get in shape. Maybe we joined a gym, started to run, jog or walk. Or we have finally put that Peloton that we bought during the pandemic to good use. Of course, there is pain at the start. Our bodies are not used to working out yet, and our muscles and joints may object. But we know that in the end there will be a reward: a healthier body; perhaps a reduction in our blood pressure or weight. We are willing to suffer physically for what we know is going to be a better future. 

I am confident that Christ, while in the garden, was not praying for a different path from the physical nature of death on the cross. He knew that His death would lead to His glorious resurrection, and bring Man into oneness with God. He knew that, He foretold it several times (Mark 8:31, 9:30-31 and 10:33-34). Jesus knew He would die and rise again: He knew that there would be a better future.  

So, what could be so horrible that Jesus - the Son of God - would plead that it be taken from Him? Look again at Mark 15:34 - we see the rejection of Jesus by His Father. The rejection of sinful man's nature by our God being placed fully on Jesus, the Son of Man. God turned His back on Jesus, His beloved and begotten Son. 

Can we not think of times in our lives where we faced rejection from a loved one, be it a sibling, spouse, or parent? And does not the pain from that rejection cut deeper? Can we now, looking at Mark 14:36, think it could mean anything other than Jesus asking God to take that rejection from Him. I think not.

But our assurance rests in knowing that Jesus, the Son of God, faced and took that ultimate rejection upon His shoulders, "...bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed." 1 Peter 2:24, ESV

Soli Deo Gloria

Comments

Popular Posts