Travels with Father – 1992, New Mexico
Unlike some of the other trips I've written about, this one has been difficult to reconstruct. Nearly 34 years have passed, and my memories of the trip have faded considerably. What I do remember has been supplemented by the 35mm slides Dad took, which I recently scanned, and by researching the places we visited. Even then, I'm probably only about 80 percent certain that I've reconstructed the trip correctly. The slides tell me where we were, and my memories fill in some of the gaps, but there are plenty of things I simply don't remember.
I cannot tell you what day we left, but as I was recently scanning Dad’s 35mm slides from this trip, he had dated them around late September of 1992, which was a bit earlier than we usually traveled (our trips tended to be during the first week of October). On this trip our first leg was from my condo in Laguna Hills, California, to one of our favorite motels, the El Rancho in Wickenburg, Arizona. Dad and I had stayed there on our previous trips to and from Arizona, so it was familiar to both of us. The next day found us driving from Wickenburg into New Mexico, ending our day’s drive in Albuquerque. One thing I just realized as I was recalling this trip is that Dad really tried to keep our drives around 6 hours a day – roughly 250 miles.
I found on these later trips with Dad, and on subsequent trips I’d take
with other photographers or by myself, that I need a full day of driving to
decompress from work, so I was glad we had a couple of days to get into New
Mexico – to allow the beauty of the New Mexico light to influence me. Dad
wasn't much of a talker, so most of our time together on these trips was spent
quietly. We'd stop somewhere, set up our cameras, and he would take photographs
while I took photographs. Occasionally, he'd tell me a story about one of his
earlier trips there with his parents or my brothers. Otherwise, we simply
traveled together.
The next morning dawned clear, but just as crisp and cool. We got breakfast, checked out of our motel, and headed into the Taos Pueblo. The Pueblo, which is a World Heritage Site, is an amazing place to visit, with large buildings that house multiple dwellings. I pulled out my medium format camera, placed it on a tripod, and was approached by a resident of the Pueblo, informing me that the photography we were attempting was prohibited. Not even Dad was allowed to take photographs, so we packed up our gear and left the Pueblo, disappointed that we were unable to photograph it. As we left the Pueblo, Dad suggested that I take a drive to Highway 64, where we could see the Rio Grande Gorge and cross over the bridge. We got to the famed bridge, which crosses over the Rio Grande River at a height of 650’, and started to walk across from the east end. I look at photos of the bridge’s walkway and see concrete, which must have been added since we were there, because I distinctly remember that the walkway was a metal grating, through which you could see all the way down. My fear of heights won almost immediately. I made it perhaps ten feet onto the bridge before turning around. Dad went farther, but eventually he turned around, too, and came back toward me and the car. I don't remember whether we said anything about it. We probably didn't. But somehow that little memory has stayed with me.
From there we headed back into Taos, and continued south, back down to Santa Fe and Albuquerque, where we connected with Interstate 40 and headed west. We pulled into Grants, New Mexico, around supper time, and secured a room for the night. It was a long and sleepless night for me, because the main line for the Santa Fe railroad went through town, and all night I heard train horns blasting away. Bleary-eyed the next morning, Dad and I continued west, reaching our last stop of the night in Wickenburg, Arizona, where we stayed at the El Rancho motel, bookending our trip.
This trip was about photography, especially capturing something elusive: light. And yes, there really is a quality to the light of northern New Mexico, along with a deep sense of spirituality and even mysticism. Catholic churches and missions dot the landscape, reminders of the layers of culture and faith that have shaped the region.
But as I look back at those slides nearly 34 years later, I realize that the most important thing Dad and I brought home from New Mexico wasn't on any of those rolls of film. It was the time we spent together.
Photography
gave us a reason to travel together. Somewhere along those western Highways,
stopping for light, old churches, mountain vistas and small towns, it also gave
us a way to find our way back to each other.







Comments