Second Sunday of Advent: Peace


"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!" - Luke 2:14 ESV

When I was a young keyboard student, one of the songs that my teacher had me learn was Let There Be Peace On Earth, the sappy song from the mid-50's. And yet, during those years that I learned that song, there was anything but peace on earth: the war in Vietnam; the invasion of Grenada; the bombing of the US Marine barracks in Lebanon - I could go on and on. And today, here during Advent of 2023, war in the Holy Land, where the Prince of Peace was born, fills our daily news feeds. 

But the Peace that the angels sang about (while Luke states that the angels spoke the words, to me, they were singing those words) was not an earthly peace, carved out by treaties and alliances for mutual benefit. The peace that they sang about, during a time of Roman occupation and Rome's Pax Romana, was a different peace. 

The Prince of Peace, whose birth was heralded by the angels, was to bring a peace - a reconciliation - between us and God. A true alliance, a true treaty of peace between ourselves - steeped in our pride and greed - and the goodwill that God intended on those whom He is pleased with. Those of us who accept God's "terms of surrender" - His Gift of Grace - will find the true Peace. The Peace that Jesus assured the Apostles with in John 14:27 - "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you." That peace of knowing that, through His mercy and grace, His Peace, the peace "which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7 ESV) 

Yes, we can and should pray for earthly peace. But as that sappy song (which I HATED) stated "let it begin with me", must take root in ourselves, and from there, we become the messengers of that peace, as Paul wrote in Romans, "And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!” (Romans 10:15 KJV). 

May the Peace of Advent fill your heart, mind and soul, and may you bring Peace on your little corner of the earth - let it begin with you and me. 

Follow John's Advent journey here on his blog, johnscoffeehouse.blogspot.com, or on Facebook, johnscoffeehouse.

Comments

Popular Posts