A lot to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving.

There are a few of you who follow this blog that know that I have a LOT to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
Last year, I came back to work on the Monday following Thanksgiving, and was called into the president's office.  I thought we were going to discuss the marketing plan for 2014 - how we were going to use social media, blog posts, etc. I had submitted the plan a few weeks before, so I went in there with my notepad and a copy of the marketing plan, ready to take notes.  He asked me to close the door.
But when I was told that I was being let go after over 30 years with the company, I must say that I was in a state of disbelief.  I had always thought that I'd either die while at my desk, or retire from there.  It was surreal.  And as I spent the day walking around and packing up my desk and saying goodbye to people I'd known and worked with for decades, many of them were in tears and a state of disbelief as well.
In hindsight, though, it was actually a good thing for me.  For one thing, I was only unemployed for 3 months, which was a time I used to spend time searching for work, hanging out with my kids, and having dates with my wife - something we really needed to do. I got to have a relaxing Christmas. And by mid-January, I had offers, one of which I took.
But that time off also gave me the time to start a print-related blog, which has become both a challenge and a joy for me.  That blog has been picked up and shared by print industry leaders, both individual and corporate, which has given me an almost international reputation.  I became more active in social media, establishing relationships with other print people all over the country, and even overseas.  And while I do not recommend unemployment for everyone, I spent the time wisely, and fruitfully.
So THIS Thanksgiving I am thankful for being let go, for the print friends I've made, and the place where I am able to take my creative print ideas to my clients.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular Posts