The Journey Continues: A Discovery
I try to walk every morning while the air is still cool, usually covering somewhere between a half- or three-quarters of a mile. On the days I walk, I have more energy throughout the day (especially in the evenings), my blood sugar remains in a healthy range, and my weight stays in the mid-170s. Those early mornings also give me time to think, to pray, to hear the birds, and to watch the rabbits. Together, those moments bring a deep sense of peace and calm. There are both physical and emotional benefits to these daily walks.
Recently, I realized those walks mirror something even more important: my daily time with God.
About a year ago, I wrote about how I had spent years resisting an active prayer life and regular time in God's Word. In the last few years, however, that has changed. Now I make time each day for prayer, worship, devotion, and Scripture.
Today, it struck me that this change has produced just as many tangible benefits as my morning walks. I am a better man. I am a better husband. I am a better father. My infamous temper has been tempered. My tendency toward covetousness has diminished. I live more intentionally. I care more deeply for others than I once did. I try to be fully present in each moment.
I know these changes are not the result of my own effort alone. They are the fruit of spending daily time in prayer and in His Word.
That may sound simple - perhaps even obvious - but for me, it was profound. It was one of those quiet "Aha!" moments that comes unexpectedly, leaving you to sit with the thought and allow it to settle deep into your soul.
Soli Deo Gloria



Comments