The Journey Continues: The Third Sunday of Advent


Today is the Third Sunday of Advent. We are close to Christmas. 

The last few weekends have told me that I am 60. My body aches in a way it hasn't since we were working on getting my old house ready for selling, and then the move that followed that sale. Last weekend Brenda and I were tasking on staining and putting Polyacrylic on the linen closets and stairway handrails. I did manage to get the outdoor lights up and the Christmas tree in place. But yesterday was our last day of workers at the house putting in the flooring, and I was so relieved to know that the majority of the process was done. (We still have a few things on our list to do.)

Friday evening, after the workers had left, I dusted and vacuumed, and pulled the tubs of Christmas decorations out from the garage, intent on making the house "feel" like Christmas for the family. As I alluded to in my post from two weeks ago, I had not felt much in the Advent spirit because our house was in such disarray. But I still carry my wife's sweet observation, that I have the Advent spirit within me. 

But I still felt that something was missing. 

But as I draped the garland over the living room mantle, added a festive runner and centerpiece to the dining room table, brought out Brenda's favorite nutcracker, I felt that my spirit was beginning to celebrate Advent. I felt warm. I felt a sense of home and love. I felt that my soul now was filled with the Advent Spirit. 

Today is the day we light the third candle, and this time, the candle is pink. The pink signifies the Joy of Advent. While the first two candles represent Hope and Faith (respectively), this candle looks forward - forward to the Joy that is Christmas. 

I try to learn from the things that happen to me in this Journey called Life. And if I have learned anything this Advent season, it's that our inner Advent spirit is not predicated on the decorations we may adorn our homes with, but on the Hope, Faith and Joy we have in our hearts. 

Merry Christmas. 


Comments

Popular Posts