2021 - Really?


Yes. My Google Calendar says January 1st, 2021. My phone says January 1, 2021. 

But is it really a new year? 

I don't feel that it is.

Let's face it, usually, we have milestones that take us into the New Year. Starting with Halloween, then a month later Thanksgiving, then a month later Christmas, then - BOOM - New Year's Eve. 

But this year it seems so odd. And the only thing I can think is that it's due to COVID. 

Let's face it, COVID knows no dates or respects the Holidays. This has been an ongoing struggle since the spring, and with the recent and terrible surge that we're now in, there seems to be no end.

Yes, I've made my plans for 2021, both work goals and personal goals. Yes, I will start anew my daily devotions reading C.S. Lewis. Yes, I will have to get used to writing "2021". 

But do I feel like it's a New Year? 

No.


Comments

Unconventional said…
John, I share your take on 2021. 1/1/ New Year is a human construct. Merely changing one digit doesn't mean the overall condition changes. 2020 will continue in many ways, both good and bad, into 2021.

Popular Posts