What am I thankful for?


Today is the day before Thanksgiving, and like many folk, I am thinking about that which I am thankful for. 

For I look back now at the past seven years, and I see both challenges and successes that have highlighted my life.

I had returned to work after the 2013 Thanksgiving Holiday and was called into my boss' office, only to be told that after 30 years with the company I was going to be let go. 

2014 was when my marriage of nearly 15 years began to break down.

2015 was when it was obvious the marriage was over, and my ex moved out of the house.

2016 started off with my mom passing away before my 55th birthday, and the divorce finalized in the fall.

Over the last few years I've just continued to move forward, until this year when the challenge of preparing our house for sale, and the long process of the sale and escrow seemed to tax me emotionally and physically. 

And I confess that not only after this year, but after these last seven years, I'm exhausted.

And yet, there is MUCH in these last seven years to be thankful for:

  • While 2014 marked the beginning of the end of my marriage, I did find work in my field, but as a sales rep, which stretched my comfort zone and challenged me in a positive way to grow.
  • In 2015, while it became obvious my marriage was over, I returned to singing in the Pacific Chorale, warmly greeted by long-time friends, and singing the music that I love to sing. 
  • In 2016, despite the loss of my mom and then the end of my marriage, I returned to my other passion in life: photography. I also returned to the annual fall photo trip, and have found that the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains provide not only wonderful images, but a place of respite. 
  • From 2017 through 2019 I dated, and met some wonderful women, eventually meeting one woman that I grew to love and then fall in love with. And this year - amid COVID and the long-ass process of selling the house - we married. 
All through these challenges and successes there has also been a constant: my faith in God, and my relationship with my kids. While the latter has had moments of stress and strain due to life's challenges, they have been with me and have helped me get through it all. 

I have much to be thankful for in 2020. Thankful for the journey, and thankful for those who have been by my side during that journey, and the woman who will be by my side as this journey continues. 

Comments

Popular Posts