Just love on your neighbor

"If your neighbor doesn't have it right, just love on them."

Rob Istad, the Artistic Director of the Pacific Chorale will frequently say this when it's apparent that not all of the singers have the notes right. Or if a few of the singers are pronouncing a German word with an incorrect vowel sound. The intent is pretty clear, even though it's implied: if the singer next to you is not getting it right, you need to gently guide them to getting it right. 

A couple of weekends ago, though, I interpreted Rob's comment differently. 

I was in line at my local Ralph's, doing the weekly grocery shopping, when a gentleman stepped in line behind me. It was over 80 degrees outside, but he was in a heavy jacket, more appropriate if we were in Mammoth during winter. His dirty hair cascaded down over his face, and he smelled of urine. Old urine. All he was going to purchase was what he had in his hands: a couple of loaves of cheap white bread, and a half-gallon of milk. 

Yes, I was repulsed. The woman ahead of me was paying with a check, which meant that it took a bit longer for her transaction to be complete. And the smell of urine was so strong, that I almost felt as if I would get sick. Why, did I ask myself, did this man come to THIS line, MY line? Why not the self checkout? I was hoping that my checking out process was going to go fast, and thankfully I did not have a lot of groceries. "Hurry up" I thought to myself as the woman ahead of me tore the check from her checkbook, and the check scanner did its duty to make sure the check was good. 

Then I thought of Rob's words, or a paraphrase on them:

"Just love on them."

Never had the simple words of love that not only Rob expressed, but that Christ expressed to us in the Gospels, come upon me more clearly. My attitude changed towards the man instantly. No longer did I feel repulsed, but concerned. No longer did I want to keep a distance from him, but I wanted to help. He didn't ask for anything, and I will confess that I did not offer to pay for his meager groceries. I should have at least done that. At least shown some compassion for the man. Alas, I did not.

But in the moment, I DID "love on him", as Rob tells us to do, and as Christ told us (and still tells us) to do. And it's within that attitude of love - even if we don't enact on it - that we can change not just ourselves, but the small world that we occupy. We can create a world of love, and love those around us, and in doing so, change the world. 

Soli Deo Gloria

Comments

Popular Posts